Put your data visualisation skills to the test and have the chance to win! Sign up to take part in LSE’s very first Data Vizathon: a student competition around creating visual data that can change minds and change the world. In this exciting, creative challenge, your team of 2-4 students will have two hours to create a visualisation using Tableau, then demonstrate it to the judges. Prizes will be awarded according to various categories (e.g. style, innovation) as well as an overall best visualisation prize of £200 Amazon vouchers for the winning team.
The theme of this year’s vizathon is ‘London’s Air Pollution Crisis’. Air pollution is a ‘wicked problem’ that cuts across the public policy, law, economics, and environmental disciplines at the LSE. Recent advances in lower-cost pollution monitoring technology and the widespread availability of air quality data have disrupted public opinion on air quality, enabling a new generation of activism and political lobbying. Data visualisation is playing an important role in informing communities about pollution exposure and reduction, as well as linkages to health and economic costs.
Instructions and data will be kept secret until the Vizathon commences on the morning of Tuesday, 19 March, 9:15 am. Breakfast and drinks will be provided throughout the morning. At the end of the morning, you’ll present your work to the Vizathon judges, BBC meteorologist Ben Rich and Jessica Templeton, Director of LSE100. Finally, you will publish your visualisation to the Tableau Server.
- Students will be expected to enter in teams of 2–4. Please register all members of your team before the deadline of Monday 11th March 17:00.
- The vizathon is open to all undergraduate and Masters students.
- Students are expected to have a knowledge of how to use Tableau software and should be registered to Tableau Online (this includes all students who have undertaken LSE100 in 2018/19).
- The competition will take place in LSE LIFE, but students will be allowed to come and go as they please during the morning, in case of lectures/classes.
- The competition will rely upon your own data visualisation ideas and Tableau skills. As such, only basic support relating to the air pollution datasets will be provided during the Vizathon.
Be sure to sign up in advance, as places will be limited. Sign up via the Training and Development system here: https://apps.lse.ac.uk/training-system/userBooking/course/8817381